Does this sound familiar? You’ve made a commitment to become healthier, take better care of yourself and lose that extra weight. You’re motivated, feeling great and the complements are pouring in. And then it happens. You have a motivation meltdown. Your attitude shifts and you’re thinking about throwing in the towel. What to do? Here’s 10 strategies to avoid health burnout and sustain healthier lifestyle choices.
10 Strategies to Avoid Healthy Lifestyle Burnout
1) Are you trying to set too many unrealistic goals? Enough said. You know what I mean, Super Woman.
2) To stay psyched long term be crystal clear on your “why and revisit often. The why is your internal or intrinsic motivation. It’s important to remind yourself when you are struggling why you thought it was so important to lose weight anyway
3) Reframe to “Choose” instead of “Can’t Have”. Reframe to I choose health, I choose to fit into my favorite jeans, I choose to feel more energetic, I choose to feel more confident about my body image, I chose! Not I can’t have or I’m dieting. I’m choosing me.
4) Motivation & willpower is fleeting. Having a plan for challenges is a key to dancing in the rain. Problem solve around challenges. For example, instead of spending mental energy beating yourself up over your lack of motivation, when the problem really is you’re bored with what you’re eating. Put that energy into experimenting with different foods and try one new recipe ever week or two.
5) Never “turning off” leads to the perfect storm. Often it’s the pace of our lives that creates a problem and environmental stressors that compound the “total load” of what a person can handle without blowing a circuit. You need down time. Fun time. If wired and tired you will eventually cave under the unsustainable pressure.
6) Be accepting of mistakes. You are perfectly imperfect. Most of us can relate to the ‘I-ruined-it-anyway-so-I-might-as-well-pig-out’ syndrome that ends most good intentions. The “all-or-nothing” mindset so many people have is a big reason for burnout. Going off a diet for a special occasion or vacation and then thinking, ‘I can’t succeed at anything,’ is a sure way to get you off track. Give yourself permission to goof it up.
7) Focus and mastering the grey! 80/20 or 90/10 works wonders for creating a structure but allows some much needed wiggle room. If that chocolate craving just won’t go away, have some and move on.
8) This is life-long continuous journey with no end point. Keep on, keepin’ on. Don’t cop out with a do-over. Just continue to be a better version of you. Remember: accept mistakes and move on….not completely stop everything and “start over”.
9) Stop with the social comparisons. Stop demands for perfection. Realize you ARE good enough and you are getting better each and every day!
10) How to we keep going in an environment that doesn’t’ support us— you don’t! We all need love and support to thrive. Drop the haters and choose supportive people in your network.