5 Strategies to Widdle Your Middle (CLICK TO VIEW VIDEO)
Getting rid of your belly bulge is important for more than just vanity’s sake. Excess abdominal fat—particularly the kind that surrounds your organs and puffs your stomach into a “muffin top”—is a predictor of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers. Check out these waist-busting strategies to reduce that stubborn pooch and work towards a flatter tummy.
How much cushion is too much?
• If you carry too much visceral fat (fat that surrounds and cushions organs) it increase your risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers.
• More than 35 inches for women and more than 40 inches for men increases one’s risk.
1) Fat Burning Foods
• Caffeine is thermogenic, meaning it helps you increase your energy expenditure, leading to more calories burned.
•Taken in moderation, one of coffee’s benefits may be a short-term increase in your metabolic rate. Multiple studies suggest 2-3 cups of coffee per day is safe for most American. Key here: “black coffee”.
• Other thermogenic foods include black or red hot peppers, green tea, coffee, coconut oil and ginger.
• Drinking green tea or oolong tea offers the combined benefits of caffeine and catechins, substances shown to rev up the metabolism for a couple hours. Research suggests that drinking two to four cups of either tea may push the body to burn 17% more calories during moderately intense exercise for a short period of time.
• Spicy foods contain chemical compounds called capsaicin that can kick the metabolism into a higher gear as well as increase circulation. Cooking foods with a tablespoon of chopped red or green chili pepper can boost your metabolic rate. The effect is temporary, but if you eat spicy foods often, the benefits may add up. In fact studies have shown, eating hot pepper such as- habaneros, jalapenos, cayenne boost metabolism by 25% with the spike in metabolism last 3 hours.
2) Enjoy the Cabbage Family
• Enjoy an ample portion of super low calorie veggies in this family that includes cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, kohlrabi and Brussel sprouts.
• These foods contain glucosinolates to revive your metabolism, encourage fat burning and reduce inflammation.
3) Do You Have a Wheat Belly?
• Two slices of whole wheat bread increase blood sugar higher than table sugar, higher than many candy bars.
• Having high blood sugars repeatedly leads to accumulating visceral belly fat.
• Research now shows that a large percentage of the general population report that they react negatively to eating gluten and feel better when they remove gluten-containing grains and products from their diet, despite not positively testing for celiac disease or having a confirmed allergy to wheat.
4) Build Healthy Gut Bacteria
• A species of gut bacteria called Bacteroidetes has been associated with thinness.
• Consume plenty of prebiotic and probiotic rich foods. In some cases, it is necessary to start slow and gradually increasing your intake, if you are not regularly consuming pre and probiotics rich foods, as your gastrointestinal flora adjusts to the shift in beneficial bacteria. It’ wise to work with a clinician well-versed in this top. Lisa G offers consultations!
5) Turmeric-an Inflammation Buster
• Available via spice or supplement form
• Look for curcurmin with 95% curcuminoids and piperine (black pepper) on label to increase absorption.